Thursday, March 24, 2011

So for my first post [Fleet Foxes]

As mentioned in the previous post, I am embarking on a transformation. A new blog, a new style, a new ME!! Not really that eccentric but anyhow. I thought I'd share a band I discovered some time ago but I simply love coming back to an old band or old album and falling back in love with it again. You remember the lyrics and the melodies and your ears are filled with joy.

This band is called Fleet Foxes and I love their style. Their sound is a mixture. They've put together a concoction of styles with I would pin as folk, rock, and even spiritual. The sound comes across very soulful with harmonies and simple rhythms. The folk is nothing like today's folk-rock but is even compared to Appalachian folk or bluegrass. With parts of the song simply breaking down to them all singing a refrain, you feel the power of their vocals. The lyrics are intelligent and paint with wonderful imagery. I enjoy listening to this band most when I'm in a thoughtful mood or on a beautiful drive.

This is a video of their performance on SNL of a song called "Mykonos" off their Sun Giant E.P. I love this performance for it's pretty much flawless. Anyways, after all that crap, check it out. And give them a good listen.

Fleet Foxes - "Mykonos" from Dave George on Vimeo.

No comments: