Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Making A Big Decision // Transferring Schools

Transferring schools is a huge decision that many struggle to make for quite some time. It can be a life-changing choice affecting your family, life and finances. It may be an easy decision for you or an extremely time-consuming, stressful process. Either way there are a few things to consider.

By no means do I consider myself an expert advice giver. I CAN claim the title of having gone through this experience. If you do not know, I transferred schools from King College in Bristol, Tenn. to the big university of Middle Tennessee State in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

I made the big decision in the spring of 2011 but it was long, enduring process in my case. I arrived at King College in the fall of 2009, ready to take over the world. I had received a cross-country and track scholarship and was truly amped about running for a collegiate team (new shoes, new jerseys, etc). King College is a small school with only about 1,000 students and I struggled with the small mass of students and lack of diversity. I began to entertain the thought of transferring my very first semester. Not a good sign!!

It was the first week of the 2011 spring semester when I had finally arrived upon a conclusion. I withdrew on the following monday from King College and enrolled in my local community college that same day. Many factors went into my decision to finally transfer. Myself, my coach and my friends were quite shocked that I actually did it!

But the most assuring thing, was the feeling of relief I got driving down I-81 realizing I had really done it. I was excited for the future.

I wanted to share my story of transferring and my decision process. I also wanted to share some tips, in case you are considering this process. So I hope they help or give you some direction.

1. Make the Decision for YOU
 -many people will be sharing their opinion on what you should or shouldn't do. Opinions will by flying at your from all directions. Don't simply ignore this advice but when you're lying in your bed at night, know that you made the decision for YOU. You will be much happier and content.

             
Money is a big factor
 2. Consider Options
-this is a more obvious tip but an important one. What are the big advantages and disadvantages of leaving and thoroughly think about each one (Finances is a big one, books are expensive!). I made a list of the pro's and con's of transferring and considered both sides.

3. Plan
-the decision to transfer brings a lot of thought and work and you don't want to be sitting around in the fall realizing you're back at your parents house eating mom's food. Know the deadlines. Know the time you have to withdrawal by, the application process, the registration dates, etc. Plan your visits and be on the ball with forms and transcripts to avoid a stressful process.

And here's a song to serenade you as you ponder on your decision.



No comments: