Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lollapalooza!

Explosions in the Sky At Lolla
Lollapalooza is an amazing music festival located in Grant Park in Chicago, IL. It is known for being one of the largest music festivals hosting over 160,000 people over the course of 3 days! It definitely stands out from the rest of the music festivals and if you can go, you should!

I went last year with my girlfriend(awe!) and her family and had an absolute blast. I saw countless bands I had on my list of bands to see with the most memorable being Coldplay and Manchester Orchestra. It stands out to me for a couple reasons.


  1. Lineup. There are handfuls of music festivals all over the map ranging from pop artists to bluegrass. For me Lolla had the best lineup. (2012 Lineup)
  2. Cleanliness! This is a big one for me. Grant Park is gorgeous and it was squeaky clean. I've never been to Bonaroo or some of the others but I have heard horror stories about the bathrooms, dust, and smell. Lolla truly does a great job of keeping the park clean for having so many guests.
  3. City! Chicago is an amazing city that can also claim the cleanliness award. It was a short walk from our hotel to the park and I can't explain how awesome it was to walk through the city and be able to go back to our hotel rooms to shower. The main stage at Lolla sits right under the skyline of Chicago and the shows here at night are an experience. 
I saw so many bands I had dreamed of seeing last year. I was running around form stage to stage to get a good spot for the next band I wanted to see. To name a few: Coldplay, Manchester Orchestra, My Morning Jacket, Delta Spirit, Local Natives, Noah and the Whale, Foster the People. Seriously though this list is awesome. And it's not even all of them. I swear I'm not being paid to do this post (although that'd be nice!) but you really do need to consider this festival. 

I will be attending again this year but as a music fan you are hopefully planning your annual music festival trip. I wanted to share my experience of Lollapalooza and hopefully convert you! Being in Tennessee many of my friends go to Bonaroo, which is no doubt a sweet festival and I've heard awesome stories. But if you're in the mood to get out of the state, head north to Chicago and I promise you won't regret it!

Here's a recap video of last year to give you a small taste!



No comments: