Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Musical Connection

I found this note/journal on my ipod from a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share what I was thinking. We were in the middle of a three hour van ride to a couple days up in the Nantahala Gorge for cross country camp and I had some thoughts about meeting people and the platform it creates with music and musical interests. So here it is:

I'm on my way to camp with the team. It should be fun. There's nothing like a three hour van ride to ensure bonding and opportunities to share common interests(besides running). I find it neat that really all you need is a simple shared hobby or interest to sort of connect with someone. It takes a shared opinion or agreement and you've taken a step in a relationship you share with that person. I find commonly that music is the best platform to find your common interest. Music is an emotional, beautiful thing. It makes people feel something and moves them and inspires them. People feel strongly about their musical choices and which artist makes them feel something. I believe that when people agree on music the have already made a deep connection. They have said "yes, I love fill in the blank, and they too make me feel something deeper that some cool noise." So stick to what you love listening to and don't judge another person's opinion but be reminded that there is likely a deeper reason they like that music/song/artist.

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is awesome. You rock.